BVA presents several awards during our national convention in August. These awards include the Irving Diener Award, the Major General Melvin J. Maas Achievement Award, and the David L. Schnair Award. Complete descriptions for each award, lists of past honorees, and instructions on how to nominate an individual can be found on the respective pages of each award. Nominations are generally due in mid-April of each year.
Irving Diener Award
The Irving Diener Award, is presented to the veteran who contributes in an outstanding way to the BVA as an organization rather than for personal achievement in rehabilitation and in the field of employment.
Irving Diener Award winners
- 2019 – Elizabeth Holmes, Midland, GA
- 2018 – Floyd Everett of Evans, GA
- 2017 – Lenard Pope of Ewing, NJ
- 2016 – Ruben Sanchez-Burgos of Vega Alta, PR
- 2015 – Ruth Klein of Sandy, UT
Major General Melvin J. Maas Achievement Award
The Major General Melvin J. Maas Achievement Award, is awarded annually to the veteran with service-connected blindness who has proven himself/herself outstanding in his/her field of employment and in his/her adjustment to daily living.
Maas Achievement Award winners
- 2019 – Dr. Norman Jones, Union City, GA
- 2018 – John Linder of Honolulu, HI
- 2017 – Kennan Horn of Edmond, OK
- 2016 – Guadalupe (Walley) Guerra of San Antonio, TX
- 2015 – James Hogan of Canyon Country, CA
David L. Schnair Award
The David L. Schnair Award, honors and recognizes outstanding contributions of volunteers. The award may be given to a BVA volunteer office, a member, or an Auxiliary member, working in a BVA Volunteer Office who has provided at least one year of consistent and outstanding service as a BVA volunteer.
David L. Schnair Award winners:
- 2019 – Johnny Busch, Atlanta, GA
- 2018 – Anthony Ricci of N. Providence, RI
- 2017 – Dennis O’Connell of Long Beach, NY
- 2016 – Betty Charlesworth of Tulsa, OK
- 2015 – Ronald White of Laurelton, NY
Certificates of Appreciation Award
Nominations for BVA Certificates of Appreciation for 2020 are now being accepted by the BVA National Headquarters.